Friday, July 31, 2009

Solicit Commentary for October 2009

October is just around the corner (a very special someone’s birthday, I won’t say who’s….mine) and with it come frights. What’s scarier than Super Zombies? Well we’re going to find out as we take a look at Image, DC and Marvel.


Image Solicits for October 2009

DC Solicits for October 2009

Marvel Solicits for October 2009


Haunt #1

Excuse me as I do my happy dance of joy. Seriously I am so excited for this, I can’t even try to put it down in words. Well I can try but still…it’s hard! Now to be honest my excitement for the debut issue isn’t too high as there is always a chance that it will suffer from First Issue Syndrome and just give me the basics for issue #2 to really impress me.


Still I feel Kirkman is a strong enough writer that he can handle this and give us a good enough first issue that leaves us craving for more but satisfied with it’s debut. That along with what I’m sure will be incredible artwork from Ottley has me very excited.


Atom Eve and Rex Plode #3


Huh, not much to say on this. It’s an interesting idea, what with Rex dead and Eve stronger than ever but I don’t think I’ll be picking this up. Maybe in collection form but that’s it.


Invincible #67

A very good looking story and with what I’m hoping to be great artwork from Walker this should be a worthwhile 2 part story. I can’t seem to say much, except for that it looks great and will probably be great. The actual story itself isn’t really all that clear, except for that Allen and Omni-Man are in space.

This along with the Invincible Returns one-shot have me excited to be reading Invincible. I don’t think it’s ever been a better time to be reading this excellent comic.


Jersey Gods #8

That cover is Alred’s best yet. A fairly simple image but the coloring and that awesome looking monster make it great. The story itself sounds good as always, but what I’m really looking forward to is Zoe meeting Barock’s mother. That’s going to be funny no doubt and I can’t wait to read it. If you’re not reading Jersey Gods then you’re missing out on one of the best new series of 2009.


Savage Dragon #153

Is it wrong if that cover looks like something out of a bad sci-fi B movie? Well Dragon and Malcolm are facing off, I wonder which will win. To be honest these recent developments don’t interest me in the least, I’ll just keep reading for the great character moments and art.


Spawn #197

With #200 just around the corner it’s hard not to get excited for the main Spawn series. This has me even more excited over the return of one of my favorite villains, the Redeemer. Not much I can honestly say, just can’t wait to check this out.


Sadly Witchblade is MIA this month, a shame seeing as this is right after the big War of the Witchblades arc.


Batman: Streets of Gotham #5

Okay, DC, I try to give you guys the benefit of the doubt here. But damn, does everyone have ADD there or something? One minute Dini’s writing the book, next Yost is writing it. This plus the Tony Daniel switch have me convinced to never ever, ever, ever trust you guys when you say “this is our team for a book” because I now know that will be complete bullshit.


To be fair it’s a 2 part arc and hopefully Dini will be back afterwards but if not then I’m happily dropping this book. How great, they gave Dini his own book only to take it away from him for the guy writing the mediocre and depressing Red Robin ongoing.


When I first saw this cover I was excited. Hell I think it’s about damn time Huntress got some time in the sunlight again and even better Man-bat is showing up. But damn this is so frustrating to me as someone who was really loving Streets of Gotham. I’m really tempted just to drop all the Bat-books since DC can’t just pull their heads out and stick to one writer.


Maybe I’m being unfair, Yost is a good writer but when they switch him with my one of my favorites it just puts me in a bad mood.


Batman and Robin #5

Surprise, Batman and Red Hood are going to fight! Well hey, I must admit I’m impressed that Grant Morrison is somehow still on the book and that Dan Didio didn’t switch it up for more shits and giggles.

I can’t honestly think of more to say on this story arc. Maybe my anger over Streets of Gotham switch has fried my brain cells or something. I just can’t seem to get excited anymore for Batman, the franchise DC is running into the ground…


Arkham Reborn #1

Just about the only good looking Bat-book since Streets of Gotham may be ruined and it probably won’t even have Batman in it. I didn’t mention this yet but this sounds like the perfect series for David Hine to write. A crazy horror based wonderland of insanity and violence.


David Hine, for those unaware, is one of the best new voices in comics that will hopefully have a wider fanbase as the years roll on as DC seems to be turning him into the next Jason Aaron it would seem. He’s incredible, especially when it comes to horror, so this book should rock.


Gotham City Sirens #5

I’ll be impressed if they keep Dini on for another month. All right anger aside I’m not regretting looking over this series, so far at least. The art looks incredible and I’m sure the story will pick up sooner than later. Now as for this story, it’s Dini writing Harley Quinn with the sexy as all hell art by Guillem March. Sign me up, can’t wait to check it out. (Rokk has been corrupting me to the Cheesecake side)


Batman #690 and #691

By now you should know that I’m not too happy with the rather random change of the guard for Batman. This along with Streets of Gotham 100% proves that DC has no direction. I was considering buying Batman, now I happily avoid the directionless series and am starting to lose hope in DC comics as a whole.


Superman/Batman #65

Another great looking issue to coincide with Halloween. This along with the awesome art really has me itching to check out this series. Still I’m approaching it more as an issue by issue series so I may pick up this issue, but not the series on a regular basis.


God of War #1

So I made it well aware that I am indeed going to be picking this up. With Wolfman at the head and a strong looking storyline I can’t wait to pick this up. This looks to be Wildstorm’s first good adaptation since their New Line Cinema stuff started up a couple years back.


Blackest Night #4

Wow, that cover just…wow. Seriously, why was that not the cover to issue #1? That cover is so amazing and it’s probably not even the final version. This should have been the cover to #1, the shot with all the corps, it’s amazing really. Incredibly awesome.


So Blackest Night will be reaching the halfway mark in the season of haunts (a tad ironic I suppose) and this issue has some big promises. A lot of people are speculating who the lord of the Black Lanterns are, my money is on Frank Miller.


My only worry is after this big issue that things start to slow down for Blackest Night. Let’s hope that isn’t the case.


Blackest Night: Batman #3

If I do or do not get this is up in the air. I’d like to, it’s only 3 issues so it’s not really a lot of money out of my pocket since it’s only 2.99 a month also which helps. It’s nice to see DC isn’t pushing this up an extra dollar just for some extra cash. It would be the typical marketing thing to do but I find this to be a more appealing decision to the readers.


The story itself sounds like a lot of crazy fun, and hey, Deadman is there too! Who doesn’t love Deadman? Except for…Black Lantern Deadman. Huh…well either way I’ll probably pick this up.


Ultimate Comics Spider-man #3

Oh hell to the yes! For those unaware, I absolutely loved Ultimate Spider-man Annaul #3 last year, it was the best one shot comic of the year for me and partially thanks to the awesomeness that was Ultimate Mysterio. I can’t wait to see ol’ goldfish bowl head return to kick some ass. As for the hero shacking up with Aunt May? I’m guessing on Captain America, he always seemed like a guy to go after the MILFS.


Ultimate Comics Avengers #3

I’m going to guess that woman on the cover is project JOCASTA mentioned in Ultimatum #3. Not exactly sure that I like mixing the classic Wasp outfit mixed like that. Also a new Black Widow? Ugh, my head is already spinning.


Incredible Hulk #603

This is a fight that has needed to happen since Skarr and Daken where both created. With Wolverine and Hulk being one of the greatest mash ups in comic history, is how is it they both have kids but have yet to clash? My hopes are that Skarr kicks Daken’s ass all the way back to…uh…wherever the hell Daken is from. Preferably back into Wolverine: Origins so I don’t have to read about him!


Deadpool #900

This is going to piss DC off so much that I wouldn’t be too surprised if Didio’s head implodes. But goddamn is it awesome. First off I love that cover, it’s wicked cool. Secondly wow this is so funny. Seems to be making fun of

DC and Marvel at the same time. What with making fun of the big 900th issue as well as Marvel’s renumbering.

To say I’m buying this would be an understatement. I’ll be buying several copies as well enough issues to line my entire room with the covers just for the hell of it. This is going to be awesome.


Wolverine: Weapon X #6

Oh, wow, Yanick Paquette is the one on the art…okay, he’s not a bad artist really. He can do good stuff when he puts forward a strong effort, but similar to Koi Pham often he does not so his art is muddy and mediocre at best. Now it’s no secret I dropped this title thanks to price problems but now I’m not feeling so bad about that.


Dark Avengers #10

Is Bendis actually going to make Norman go crazy? I doubt it. Even if he does he couldn’t hope to top the wild insane fun when Norman went on a killing spree last year in Thunderbolts. Still should be interesting to see.

I dropped the series but I think I may jump back on with #9 if I can. While Bendis was sort of losing me with #5 and #6 I still have high hopes for the Dark Avengers. Plus that c over by Deodato is amazing.


Dr. Voodoo: Avenger of the Supernatural

Stupid name aside, it was a smart idea of Marvel to give this to Rick Remender. The guy seems to be rising fast and I’m glad. This looks like a book he could really excel with. I won’t be buying this but I may collection wait it. I am glad that Marvel finally made a new sorcerer supreme and even better it’s the awesome Brother Voodoo.


Mighty Avengers #30

Surprise, surprise, Pham isn’t drawing another issue of Mighty Avengers. Look, I don’t mind so much that he’s not drawing it anymore but can we at least admit that he isn’t and stop calling him the series main artist when he can’t even finish a full story arc anymore? It’s kind of embarrassing for you guys.


Well as for the story I must admit it sounds awesome. Slott is bringing together a massive cast and that should show what a major threat the Unspoken is. My only worry is if he has a hard time juggling all these characters and uses them well enough without making it feel cramped. Still Mighty Avengers is on a roll and I can’t wait to read more.


New Avengers #58

Of all the heroes that are stupidly resurrected, all the villains that can’t stay dead and all the great characters that deserve to come back…why does the Hood keep coming back over and over again? He’s like a goddamn STD, you keep thinking it’s gone then BAM! You can’t piss straight for 2 months and you’re back on the antibiotics.

He just needs to die already. It’s as simple as that. Who keeps bringing him back? He finally loses his power with Dormammu ,then Loki has to ruin everything, when he loses that power I’m sure some other moron will give him power. Why? Because the comic gods hate me.


Honest to the comic gods I can’t tell why Bendis doesn’t just let Hood die. By now I can relate Hood to a bad joke, Bendis thinks if he keeps repeating the joke or tweaking it we’ll enjoy it. But what Bendis doesn’t seem to get is a bad joke is a bad joke no matter what, so you’re just pissing everyone off by not moving on.


Wow, October must be the month of comics pissing me off (well, Marvel and DC comics, Image keeps a smile on my face). I almost feel bad for ranting so much…then I see Hood on that cover and I remember that Anti-Life justifies my hate. Or in the case of the Hood we’re going to call it Anti-Smart.


Captain America: Reborn #4


The penultimate chapter and Steve is still stuck in time? How disappointing. Well after a good debut issue I’m in it for the long haul on the rebirth of the sentinel of liberty and hey, Dr. Doom is here. That makes me a very happy reader.


Marvel Zombies: Evil Evolution


I’m buying Marvel Zombies return. That looks awesome. This? This sounds like ass on top of shit sandwiched by crap-cakes.


Dark Reign: The List titles.

All right so Dark Reign: the List is an interesting idea. I myself don’t like it as I feel it’s Marvel’s last shot at getting as much money out of Dark Reign. The only ones I want are the Punisher and Wolverine ones and that alone is for the artistic talent. Romita Jr. drawing Punisher and Esad Ribic on Wolverine are 2 dreams come true.


Though really this just feels like a mediocre attempt from Marvel to squeeze a bit more cash out of us and that’s a shame. Dark Reign is turning out to be one of their best after-math event type stories but still this just seems cheap to me personally.


While I will only be picking up 2 or so I will at least give Marvel credit for getting together some of their biggest talent for this.


Anti-Venom #2

They really just can’t let this mini be about Eddie and not drag any big name characters into it? I could understand if Spider-man guest starred, maybe even the Dark Avengers but the Punisher of all people? It’s just so bland and obvious. Well for now I’m only considering this series since collection waiting it seems so much easier.


Spider-man: the Clone Saga #2

All right, I was tempted to read this series but all temptation flew out the window when I read that they are bringing back the awful “is he a clone or the real one” crap. It wasn’t funny then and it isn’t funny now. It’s stupid, frustrating and has me banging my head into the desk just like when I was a kid.


I like Ben Reilly, I really do. He’s a great character who was awesome as the Scarlet Spider, one of my few favorite new characters from the 90’s. I will even give the writers credit that at least they are promising to reveal this fact to us by issue #2 but at the same time I just can’t help but think that this is such a waste of a good opportunity.


With remaking the Clone Saga you can completely skip this “who is a clone?” bullshit and just use the clones for an interesting storyline. Sadly not all bad things died with the 90’s it seems.


Wolverine: Old Man Logan HC

I have to at least thank Marvel for saying this will come out right after Old Man Logan ends. It’s a nice gesture but I have a feeling it won’t be happening. If Old Man Logan can even conclude by September I’ll be impressed, but I doubt the collection will be out only a month later.


For those who missed it, Old Man Logan has been a wild and fun ride even when it’s had it’s weaker moments it’s still been a great read and something that anyone who is a fan of out of continuity stories will love.


Marvel Zombies 4 HC

I give this book a high recommendation for the collection format. While the plot was weak and boring, the character work was amazing as was the art. I should have definitely waited for the collection like I originally planned to.


Timestorm 2009/2099 HC

Maybe it’s the old saying of not learning one’s lesson but I think I’ll pick this up just if I hear good things about the comic.


Spider-man: American Son HC

After a lot of positive reviews on this I’ve been convinced to pick this up. I the how Jimenez just couldn’t keep up with the schedule after having a few months ahead of time but still it looks like they got some great fill in artists so I’ll be fine.

No comments: