Sunday, August 9, 2009

Week's End - August 9th 2009

After an okay week of comics it’s time to sit down and look back as the week is over. Though I must admit this is almost hard as the countdown to Wednesday is killer, some really incredible comics coming out next week, though that can’t stop me from looking back once.


Comic of the Week: Jersey Gods #6

Jersey Gods pretty much crushed the competition this week. Everything else felt like nothing when in comparison to it. While McDaid’s art continues to have problems I easily look over that when the story is just so masterfully told. Character work alone could win this issue the comic of the week.


I was a little uneasy about Brunswick starting off an a whole brand new story arc and not giving us some time to breath between major storylines but he does give us fairly good breathing room to adjust to the new status quo. For that alone I loved this issue.


We also get a great introduction to our new villain Hecticus. As to who he is, why he’s here and what is his greatest motivation are still in the dark but he comes off as so delightfully sinister that I couldn’t help but love him.

Also of course Brunswick has done a great job with the relationship between Barock and Zoe. They feel very real, even with how over the top these stories are. All this culminating into a book that no one should miss.


Runner Up: Amazing Spider-man #601


Moment of the Week: Spiderfail.org

Man, it sure would be awesome if there was an actual website like that.

Oh, what’s this? Spiderfail.org? An actual website? And it’s owned by our friend Kirk Warren? Excuse me as I go bury myself in the failures that Spider-man has had over the years.


Runner Up: Jessica Jones should become Jewel Again.


Cover of the Week: Amazing Spider-man #601 by J. Scott Campbell

Okay, okay, lets get it out of the way. Yes, her breasts are pushed together. Yes, that Spider symbol attracted every man’s eyes to it, but I really do like this cover for more than that. I mean, sure…the breasts are a big plus but I honestly do like the image for more than MJ’s chest. Honest to the comic gods.


For one we’ve got her looking out to see Spider-man, a look of sadness on her face. It fits well with the idea that

she misses Peter after OMD since she’s returning. I also really like the coloring, every little piece in this image stands out because of the coloring. So for me it’s a really solid good looking image.


“Whoa” of the Week: Spider-man didn’t piss me off!

So in case you didn’t know, I came into this week’s issue of Spider-man with very low expectations. Expecting to be bored out of my mind and not enjoy it at all. But I was pleasantly surprised to find an enjoyable, albeit flawed, good read. What made me love it especially was the back up by Bendis and Quesada, excellently well done and I am tempted to pick up New Avengers Annual #3 just to see where Bendis takes a plot from this.


Artist of the Week: Joe Quesada

A tough call. While I was disappointed with the story in Savage Dragon this week, Larsen did an incredible job on the art. Also Bryan Hitch’s artwork on Captain America: Reborn #2 was incredible but I’m going to give it to Quesada for one reason: it was his best art yet. Seriously I like his style and art but this has to be the best his art has been yet.


I especially loved how he conveys such powerful emotions. The scene with Jessica shocked to hear Peter tell her she should become Jewel, then look down at her baby, then smile up at him was so amazingly well done. Hands down in the end he wins this week.


Runners up: Mario Alberti, Savage Dragon


Character of the Week: Barock

Barock wins this one for his great speech to Zoe about how having less is more. I really like how Brunswick has fleshed out Barock as this really humble nice guy who is happy just with what he has. It makes him a more likable and appealing character and when your main hero is a God, that’s not very easy to do.


Question of the Week: Did you enjoy Green Lantern: First Flight?

I should have asked this last week, I know, my apologies but it just came to me now. So yes, did you buy/rent the new Green Lantern animated film? Now if you’ve seen my review you know I wasn’t too fond of it and found it to be a wasted opportunity but I’m curious as to how did other fans see it? Did you like it? Love it? Dislike it? Hate it? Let me know!

No comments: