Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Solicit Commentary for August 2009

Solicit commentaries seem to be coming faster and faster than I remember, the months certianly are going by fast. But nonetheless there are solicits to comment on like always.


Image Comics Solicits for August 2009

DC Comics Solicits for August 2009

Marvel Comics Solicits for August 2009


Darkness/Pitt #1

An interesting sounding story, it’s got some serious talent behind it so I wouldn’t mind checking out the collection. Pitt was incredibly awesome in his recent return during Invincible so this should be a cool read to see him take center stage alongside The Darkness.


G-man: Cape Crisis #1

Here’s a really cool looking book I’ll be trade waiting. Been looking for the G-man digest book but none of the book stores I order from usually have it up yet.


Invincible Presents: Atom Eve TPB

I missed out on this mini a year back, it looked pretty good but I wasn’t even aware of it until the time that issue #2 came out. I may check this out since it’s only 6 bucks.


Invincible #65

Pretty much outright saying Eve will die from all the hints and tips. It’s sad to see that she’ll no doubt go but maybe her death will be for some just cause, who knows. Or maybe somehow this will be another’s funeral, I can’t imagine who else would die though.


Jersey Gods #6

Another 5 part arc eh? Was hoping for more of a downtime type issue but this should be another great read. For all you crazy people out there who missed out on this with the first arc, the collection book of it is out in August and this issue is said to be a good jumping on point so I don’t wanna hear any excuses.


Savage Dragon #151

Dragon’s Kids are taking the spotlight and fighting their own villain? Should be an interesting read. I’m hopeful that Overlord doesn’t just show up in issue #150 and disappear like it seems he may.


Spawn #195

Love the way Spawn’s costume is really coming together and looking awesome like this. The Freak? I’m not a big fan of him as far as Spawn villains go. It could go well and he could be pulled off nicely but when compared to Violator or The Redeemer he’s fairly forgettable.


Witchblade #129

The penultimate chapter, how exciting! War of the Witchblades is turning out to be another great story from Marz but I’m not so sure if I’m going to like the outcome. The fan in me hopes that Sara will still be the bearer somehow but at the same time I know better than to trust Marz and hope he’ll give us a straight forward ending, that’s never how it ends.


Also…I noticed, no Haunt AGAIN, ugh, I refuse to ever let Image tell me a comic is coming out until I see it in the damn solicits cuz this is getting really annoying.


Blackest Night: Batman #1

Blackest Night itself is so far on the consider list, but this is a book I may actually read even if I don’t read Blackest Night. It sounds awesome, and the idea of Dick (We all know it’s him under the cowl) confronting his zombie parents sounds awesome.


Batman: Widening Gyre #1

Oh Kevin Smith, we danced this dance before and sadly you and I stepped on our feet one too many times. I’ll admit I love the idea of a new Batman Maxi-series by one of my favorite directors (when the hell is Tim Burton going to write one of these?!) but sadly both for cost and fear of delays has me trade waiting on what looks to be an awesome experience.


Batgirl #1

I wish DC would give the newer writers smaller job and the bigger writers bigger jobs like this. I had high hopes that Paul Dini would write this, but that was more of a hope that probably would not have come true either way. I’d really love to check this out, always been a fan of Batgirl, but I’ll be waiting for the verdict on this to see if I’ll check out the collection or not.


Batman and Robin #3

I do love it when they only give us a small opening arc, it’s so nice. We get a usually good amount of introduction for the series and aren’t made to worry about delays or any big problems. Even if the first arc does stink, it’s only 3 issues so it’s no big deal. Really looking forward to this debut arc and hopeful that Morrison can pull this off.


Detective Comics #856

Sadly Detective Comics bit the bullet as far as me reading it. I’d love to read this story as it does look pretty awesome, but I’ve dropped the series to try and save myself some cash.


Batman #689

Awesome cover by Kubert, still not getting this. Just commenting on it to mention this sounds like a boring story.


Batman: Streets of Gotham #3

A very interesting story from the sounds of it, why isn’t something like this headlining the main Bat-book? This sounds a thousand times better than Batman simply looking for thugs. Then again, it’s Dini. We all know Hush will escape and be the new Bruce Wayne (certainly irk worthy) and he’ll be butting heads with the new Batman, which should make for an awesome tale.


Gotham City Sirens #3

A romance between Bruce Wayne and Harley Quinn? Mr. J ain’t gonna like that when he gets back. I’ll admit I’m rather on the fence, my wallet says trade wait this buy my head and all senses say this is a must have comic. Maybe I’ll wait for the first issue, if I can get a copy and read it. If I enjoy it from the first issue it’ll be added to the pull list.


Amazing Spider-man #601-603

The return of MJ, how nice…I can’t help but be a little hopeful that this won’t be just constant In Your Face OMD bullshit but at the same time I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s all it really is.


Ultimate Comics Avengers #1

I’m gonna be honest, I probably won’t check this out. Millar has impressed me on Old Man Logan but that’s about it as far as his really impressed me, he’s done a good job here and there but I can’t see any reason I’d want to check this out other than Pacheco’s awesome art.


Ultimate Comics Spider-man #1

Here is the comic I am excited for! To be honest the biggest thing I’m hyped for is more Lafuente on art with Bendis but the story sounds interesting as well. I’m not a big fan of the cast change, and the idea of a new Spider-man worries me but damn I’m not going to miss out on the next generation of great new stories from Bendis as this is practically a guaranteed success.


Uncanny X-Men #514

I’m considering waiting on the Utopia event, dropping Dark Avengers and picking it up after this all sorts out as it’s just not sounding all that interesting to me anymore. But at the same time I can’t deny the talent alone is a pulling factor for me to check this out.


Dark Avengers #8

Sounds exciting, the real X-men show up to take down the Dark X-men. I hope this means we’ll get some confrontation with Scott and Emma. Though I do have one problem, Deodato is off for art? I know he was having trouble with being timely, as #5 is being delayed, but kicking him off the book? That sucks…hopefully he’ll be back after Utopia, and hey, it’s not like they got a bad stand in artist. Luke Ross is awesome, this should be good still.


The Marvel Project #1

I honestly can’t see the excitement behind this book. I’ve grown bored of poking at just the past of comics. Still this could be a very interesting book no doubt but it just doesn’t sound appealing to me.


Wolverine: Weapon X #4

Jason Aaron said the delay for issue #4 would be worth it as it’s going to be an all out bloodbath worth every cent. The story itself sounds awesome so I guess I can forgive the delay, really looking forward to more Weapon X.


Dark Reign: Young Avengers #4

That cover is rather ironic seeing as Wiccan was originally called Asgardian and here he is with Enchantress. Still this sounds pretty awesome, I like how it seems this book is about both the Young Avengers team and how they try to work on a same level but they clash so much.


Mighty Avengers #28

All of a sudden I’m not really regretting reading this book anymore! I am very happy to see Slott addressing the whole Statue/Vision/Scarlet Witch problem that these 3 are all tangled up in and this should be an awesome read. Hopefully they can find out the truth, though that may make things worse.


Dark Reign: Sinister Spider-man #1

I continue to love that title, so awesome. This story doesn’t really sound all that great I admit, something about a guy called Redeemer (Eddie? Are you really back?!) and yadda yadda. But hey it’s got Venom tormenting JJJ and Chris Bachalo on art, nothing wrong with that for sure.


Ghost Rider: Heaven’s on Fire #1

Here is a comic that looks good, sounds good, but I’m just not sure of it. (Also that cover by Lee is creeping me out) I like Aaron’s work on a lot of things. His first run on Ghost Rider was good but I decided to wait on it. This sounds pretty interesting and as a big time GR fan I should like it but I’m just not sure. It’s on the Consider It List.


Timestorm: 2009/2099 #4

All right, this sounds awesome. But as you all know by now I dropped this for price and the fact that it just didn’t really feel worth it. Maybe I’ll get the collection later on but for now I’m happy with skipping this.


Incredible Hulk #601

So Pak and Van Lente are taking over? Quite an interesting change in things. The art talent looks promising, but despite how good this may be, I’m skipping it.


Hulk #13 and 14

Is McGuiness leaving the book? I hope not, but this stand in artist looks pretty good. I really like the idea of Red Hulk going toe-to-toe with Wolverine as Wolverine is obligated to fight a Hulk at least 2 times a year.

Now much to my surprise Marvel is releasing quite a few awesome looking HC’s this month. Seeing as the last 2 months of solicits have had about no collection books I could care about, this is awesome.


Dark Avengers volume 1: Dark Avengers Assemble HC

By now you know Dark Avengers has been one of my favorite new series of the year. It’s just been great and I highly recommend anyone who skipped out on the first story arc (assuming the next 2 issues are as great as the first 4 have been) to check this out.


Messiah War HC

Uhm, bad cover choice perhaps? Don’t get me wrong I like Olivetti’s work but…seriously? Just the simple cover of these 3 shooting? Really now? Not that awesome Kaare Andrews cover for the one-shot? Eh, oh well, your call. Considering picking this up, reviews have been less than warm to this event but I’m still interested. But wait, I just noticed...it's collecting that awful Bishop mini? Oh god, wait to throw a turd onto a rock.


Hulk: Green Hulk/Red Hulk HC

This is what I’ve been waiting for, an epic collection of the first 9 issues which is great. People are still insisting this comic sucks, and maybe to some it does but I certainly enjoyed it while I was reading it.


Astonishing X-men: Ghost Box HC

I was tempted to get this series with the jumping on of one of my favorite writers but with the delays I decided against it even though I loved the opening issue. It’s been getting some mixed reviews all over the board, but I still look forward to checking it out.


New Avengers: The Reunion HC

Here is a tempting book…while I decided to skip this, the overall story has me intrigued and I wouldn’t mind actually getting to read this for myself in collected format. It looks pretty good and had some awesome twists and turns.


Secret Warriors volume 1 HC

And so it has come to this, trade waiting. I don’t mind really in the end, and I’m surprised this volume is coming out so fast, but not sad as I’ll gladly be picking it up as soon as I can.


Mighty Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest HC

While Dan Slott’s opening issues on Mighty Avengers have been a mixed bag of good moments and weak moments I still will pick this up. Also nice cover choice, though it’s ironic that Hank Pym is nowhere to be seen seeing as he’s the leader, but oh well.

No comments: