Monday, August 31, 2009

Andrenn's thoughts on Disney buying Marvel

Another thing to add to the list of why I'm so cynical and have no faith in the world. We can put this right between Glen Beck and the Birthers on that list.

On one hand I feel like Marvel sold out. They gave a big middle finger to all their independence and free will and sold all of that away for money. I hate that. I really do. One thing I was happy about Marvel was that they didn't have to answer to any higher power or worry about if the big wigs upstairs cared if they killed a certain person off or not. It gave them a quality that DC could never hope to match as far as what they can and cannot do. Now they've sold that away and it pisses me off.

I do hope that this means Marvel will no longer have to keep rebooting all their damn comics to try and get new readers. Maybe it can even mean that Marvel can do some more adventurous projects without the fear of losing a ton of money. That's about the only plus I can find in this though.

In the long run I still feel pissed off. Like a friend who had been working hard all his life finally gave up and decided to take his parents' check and not have to work hard anymore and just lounge around after all his previous hard work. It's sad to see Marvel get so lost like this and I wouldn't be surprised if we see a major quality drop over the next few years.

Maybe it's just me being a fanboy, but I can't help but wonder if my father would feel the same way. He'd probably be just as pissed and I wouldn't blame him. This feels like a slap in the face to all that Marvel has done over the years and it's a damn shame.

With all that said I'm going to go play Arkham Asylum and pretend that I'm throwing Batarangs into Mickey Mouse's forehead.

-Andrenn

No comments: