Monday, November 23, 2009

The Week Begins - November 23rd 2009

Only 2 comics coming out this week but their both pretty big comics this week. Both event comics.

Image United #1 *Most Anticipated*
Written: Robert Kirkman
Art: Todd McFarlane, Erik Larsen, Mar Silvestri, Jim Valentino, Whilce Portacio and Rob Liefeld


Growing up as a child of the 90’s Image comics was a major part of my comic book life. They have grown over the years into a company I’ve come to expect great things from. While their more recent comics like Invincible and Jersey Gods are all great, I never forgot about the awesome debut titles.

Now the only classic Image titles I’ve read into much where Spawn, Savage Dragon and Witchblade. I know plenty about Youngblood and Cyberforce even if they never interested me and I have a lot of nostalgia for these characters and their creators.

So with this comic comes plenty of nostalgia, but I’m also very excited to check this out. The story sounds awesome with the heroes of the Image-verse trying to come together to stop our big villain, Al Simmons Spawn.

I am coming into this issue with a bit of trepidation mind you. Not to mention the fact that this series has already hit a delay (big surprise) and I am trying not to be too excited so that my hopes get dashed. But at the same time it’s hard not to be itching with excitement to read and see the gorgeous art that lies in wait for me. Let’s hope Kirkman can deliver.

Blackest Night #5
Written: Geoff Johns
Art: Ivan Reis


With last issue being a rather dull “lets just stand around and talk about what we should do” kind of issue I’m losing interest in Blackest Night at warp speed. Johns started out with 2 great strong issues but since #3 it just feels like we’re running in place.

Johns clearly has big things in mind with Nekron so I’m really hopeful that he can utilize the lord of the Black Lanterns well as his debut at the end of last issue was absolutely awesome. If he is as badass as he looked there then I may not mind the wait.

So we’ve reached the halfway point and are entering the second half of Blackest Night. Up until this point it’s been “Dead rise, people get upset, hearts get ripped out” but now it’s time for something new. With Nekron here lets hope Johns can kick this event back into high gear.

Green Lantern #48
Written: Geoff Johns
Art: Doug Mahnke


Honestly I’m more tempted to just pick this up instead of Blackest Night #5 this week, it would for sure be a more interesting read no doubt and probably will be ten times more worth the price then whatever running in place game may take place in Blackest Night #5.

I’m mostly kidding but still, we all know this issue will probably be better then Blackest Night this week.

This issue deals with things like the Blue Lanterns and Atrocitus and Larfleeze duking it out over the Orange Power Battery. It sounds absolutely awesome. If I somehow can afford an extra pick up at the LCS I really want to pick this issue up.

No comments: