Friday, February 13, 2009

Most Anticpated Comic of 2009

2008 had some good comics here and there but nothing that really broke out to me, stood out and in the end was quite as amazing as some of the stuff we got in 2007, with the exception of Image comics. 2009 is looking to have a lot more incredible books and stories, so to be fair, I’m picking one that I’m most excited for. But before I reveal the winner, lets mention honorably other anticipated comics and stories.

War of the Witchblade
Ultimate Spider-man vol. 2
Invincible War
Spawn: Endgame
Savage Dragon: Back in Blue
Messiah War
War of Kings
Dark Reign
Dark Avengers
Mighty Avengers
Detective Batwoman
Spider-woman: Agent of S.W.O.R.D.
Marvel Zombies 4

So now you know what looks awesome to me and I am anticipating, what could possibly rise above the rest? What could look better then more Ultimate Spider-man or better then the best ongoing of 2008?

HAUNT!



An incredible team, Todd McFarlane, Robert Kirkman, Ryan Ottley and Greg Capullo will be the big names behind the best looking book of 2009. The only draw back is that the series will have skip months, but outside of that I can’t think of anyway why Haunt wouldn’t be an awesome read.

For one, the pitch, a story about 2 brothers who hate each other forced to join as a super hero to solve one brother’s murder is incredibly great. Sure it’s not the most mind bending plot but it doesn’t have to be. Not every new comic needs to be the new Watchmen, or try to reinvent cool. Though it is always nice when some creators give it the old college try.

Haunt has a strong premise as it is, add the fact that Kirkman is a great writer and has written some really masterful stuff and it’s hard not to see where he goes here. While I must admit, Kirkman is not my favorite writer and I don’t feel he’s the best writer on the market right now I can’t deny that I love his stuff and that he can do some incredible work with his writing.

McFarlane didn’t just put his name on this and say “I helped make it!” as a marketing ploy. Greatly involved McFarlane developed things like the look of Haunt and other things like his weakness. Important things and coming from such a big name as McFarlane it’s very exciting to se where they go with Haunt and how far the imagination can bet stretched on the pages of Haunt.

Then there’s the art to Haunt, while Ottley isn’t my all time favorite artist I’m really glad to see such a talented artist get a gig on such a great looking comic. While I almost wish he’d either move onto this from Invincible, as it’s unfair to have to divide him between the two books even if he isn’t handling as big a work load this time. Still I can’t say that I look forward to seeing how his art differs between the two books.
I suppose the biggest difference in his art won’t so much be his style, in how he’s giving it a darker tone for Haunt, but that the lay outs are all done by Greg Capullo and Ottley is simply drawing in place of the panel and character placements/background. I love Capullo’s style so it’s a little disappointing to see him stuck to lay outs rather then just giving him the art duties as I’m sure he’d do an amazing job.

Either way though I’m sure the art will be spectacular as it looks pretty damn good from the preview pages.

Overall Haunt is easily my most anticipated comic of 2009, while there is no doubt room for disappointment-should it take 6 chapters to go anywhere or the characters turn out bland and uninteresting. Still I have huge hope for Haunt and I recommend it to anyone interested in checking it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This does'nt look original or interesting in the least. It's Spider-man, Venom, and Spawn all rolled up into one.