Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Week Begins - September 22nd 2009

We’ve got some solid comics coming out this week. A major finale and some important beginnings. Let’s check them out!

Wolverine: Old Man Logan Giant Sized Finale *Most Anticipated*
Written: Mark Millar
Art: Steve McNiven

I’m not really sure if this is my most anticipated really. I’m giving it the Most Anticipated mostly because I do want to enjoy this finale. Though I can’t deny the last part in this story did take a bit of an obvious and frustrating turn. Still I am hopeful for this issue.

My main thing is the price. Now I can take a 4.99 comic if it’s worth it. I’ve mentioned in the past how a comic could be 15 pages and 8 bucks but as long as those are 15 great pages then I’ll feel I got my money’ worth. Though I have a feeling this finale will just be Logan killing the Hulk gang, killing Banner, then leaving one baby to live (hence the Banner grandchild in Millar’s FF run) and then we move on.

Don’t get me wrong, I am hopeful there will be some kind of interesting twist or maybe even a good character moment. But I’m not expecting it from this comic. I’m expecting a wild bloody ride with some cool bonus features in the end. Still I am giving it the most anticipated for the fact that I’ve mostly been enjoying Old Man Logan and I’m hopeful Millar can end it on a high note.

The Amazing Spider-man #606
Written: Joe Kelly
Art: Mike McKone

If not for Old Man Logan’s finale then this would be my most anticipated of the week hands down. As a long time fan of Black Cat and her adventures with Spider-man I cannot wait to see what happens here as I’m sure it will be a great read. Black Cat was once an essential part of Spider-man’s cast and it’s hard to believe that Marvel took this long to bring her back.

Sure the solicit is tacky as all hell. Though I have faith that Joe Kelly can give us a damn good read and that with McKone on art it will look great. Kelly is a great writer who I’m hopeful will have a great grasp on Felicia’s character. Hopefully the BND status quo hasn’t removed a lot of her great development and she’ll be the great character she’s always been. Can’t wait to find out on Wednesday.

Invincible #66
Written: Robert Kirkman
Art: Cory Walker

I can’t tell if I’m excited or not for this storyline. On one hand it feels like it will be more or less just filler and a break for Ottley as he works on Haunt and future issues of Invincible. Though I look back at #55 last year and what a great read that was so I can’t help but be hopeful for something like that.

Last year when Omni-Man and Allen the Alien broke out it was a great read. Over the top violence along with just all around great character work. This time their taking center stage and I am very hopeful that it will be as good as last time. While I may not be too familiar with Walker’s art I know he did a good job on Destroyer so I figure he’ll do a good job here as well.

Spider-woman #1
Written: Brian Bendis
Art: Alex Maleev

I’m not actually buying this issue. When it was original solicited for April I was wanting to buy it but my anticipation has evaporated at this point. Mostly due to the lackluster Motion comic that I watched for free on Marvel’s website. I know this is a big team of Bendis and Maleev and I am happy that Spider-woman finally got her own series but if I do hear good things a bout it I will have to wait for the collection.

No comments: